House aid bill is just a liberal wish list
Today (Friday, May 15), I will vote against the House Democrats’ $3 trillion liberal grab bag.
Thousands of Americans have lost their lives due to the COVID-19 virus and millions are now out of work. Instead of working to help the people who are suffering, Speaker Nancy Pelosi and House Democrats have proposed a liberal wish list of policy priorities that has no chance of becoming law. We need to be working for the American people, not furthering a partisan agenda.
This liberal wish list would:
1. Federalize elections by including stringent mandates on how states must run elections, including early voting, no ID requirement for in-person voting, and mandatory same-day registration. All while allowing for unlimited ballot harvesting.
2. Allow illegal immigrants to receive direct stimulus payments.
3. Provide a tax break for millionaires and billionaires by repealing the state and local tax credit limitations for 2020 and 2021.
4. Use taxpayer dollars to bail out failing multi-employer pension plans while failing to include any needed reforms to fix the problem.
5. Impose a one-size-fits-all OSHA rule on all employers, which is counterproductive given the ever-changing circumstances created by COVID-19. This will add red tape and hurt workers.
6. Expand Obamacare, a proposal that has already been rejected by President Trump.
7. Use taxpayer dollars to bail out public and private student loans.
8. Provide work authorization for illegal aliens working in jobs that could be held by out of work Americans.
9. Mandate a blanket release for certain covered federal prisoners and alleged criminals.
10. Boost the payout of unemployment insurance through March of 2021, forcing businesses to compete with unemployment insurance for workers.
Congress needs to work to find solutions that will help the American people during this difficult time. I am disappointed that my Democratic colleagues are using this opportunity to push their own partisan agenda instead of working to find solutions that can help combat the COVID-19 pandemic.
I will continue to work to make sure 5th District residents have the help and resources they need to fight the COVID-19 virus. Please visit my website Riggleman.house.gov/issues/covid-19 for more information on federal and state resources to combat the pandemic.
Denver Riggleman represents Charlotte in the U.S. House of Representatives. He can be reached by visiting https://riggleman.house.gov/ or by phone at (434) 973-9631.